Thursday, March 31, 2011

Half Nuts!

I feel the need
The need for seeds-


As I mentioned before, I go thru little food obsessions and this week is no different.
This weeks food focus:
sunflower seeds


I'm going NUTS for Seeds!!

While Tiger(blood)
{this is my bike for those of you who do not know this}
was visiting Josh at Freeman's Bicycle for a tune up, Lola and I spent the afternoon at Joker's (a kids indoor playhouse/amusement park with all kinds of stuff to do!)

Down the slide
Jumping around

and then hit Trader Joe's for some staples.

While checking out the nuts-love nuts!-I saw all kinds of different sunflower seeds. Raw, roasted, salted, unsalted, tarmari seeds etc. so I picked up several bags. Once I got home the question became "what am I going to do with so many bags of nuts and seeds?"

The fun was finding different ways to use these little gems!
The A+ winners?

 a toasted Ezekiel cinnamon raisin english muffin with almond butter and sunflower seeds
veggie stir fry over buckwheat noodles then topped with sunflower seeds and spicy sesame oil

Im telling you, the stir fry was AMAZING! Maybe it was the ginger sauce that Lola made for it but the sunflower seeds added a nice nutty flavor and crunch that just worked. And worked really well.


Apple cider vinegar, some Kikomans

lots of grated ginger and stir


gotta taste it



of course, there is the standards of putting them in salads, yogurt, cottage cheese etc. but I am going to be trying all kinds of new ways to use them!
Do you have a special sunflower seed use??

Since we were in the area we also hit up Whole Paycheck Foods and picked up some lovely produce and other unique items that is not at my "corner grocery store". I have heard about Kombucha but have not tried it. The lady in line in front of me (a very, very long line) had many, many bottles of Kombucha so I decided to ask her about it. She went on and on about how fabulous it makes her feel. Not only does she buy it by the caseload, she also makes her own at home. Judging by her smile and her beautiful skin--she is doing something right. So I picked up a bottle to try and we shall see.
Do you Kombucha?

1 comment:

Barbie said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE sunflower seeds. They are just delicious.As for the Kombucha - I'll pass. My Mum used to make that stuff years back.