Sunday, March 13, 2011

Decisions, Decisions

Ahhh, Decisions.

Thursday was my last PT session.
Jared gave me the "all clear" and  I am now free to roam-well, run.
And on Saturday, I chose to run. A very quick 3-miler with a 7:40 avg pace. When Jared said we could easily shave a minute off my mile, he was not giving me false promises. This was a moderate effort run off the bike and I thought my Garmin was kaflooey when it kept flashing 7's at me.
But...
Remember THIS conversation with Jared about limits and training plans?
Well, I did take his words of advice to heart and sat down to make some decisions about this season.





Decision #1:
Pick a focus: triathlon or marathon.
Triathlon won.
Duh. (winning) Of course it did.
Why just run when you can:
swim  bike  run



Decision #2:
Develop a training plan that focuses on building a stronger bike with more time in the pool. The running? well, less junk miles and more quality workouts: speed skills and hill work, so running 3-4x per week.
Less "vanity" lifting in the gym-you know, the "pretty muscles" like bi's and tri's?? I am still going to be doing my fair share of strength training-heck! I am proud of my arms- but I am going to incorporate more balanced-based and skill building exercises? Who can fault me for doing bicep curls on the Bosu ball?? :)

Decision #3:
Stick to my training plan and don't overdo it. I am a classic example of someone who will and can over train if allowed. I think having a "schedule" will help me bring balance to it all. Embrace the recovery weeks and take a day off.

Decision #4:
Still in the works...but I do need to make some FINAL decisions about what races I am doing for the season, especially the end of the season. Everything so far has hinged on IF I can get hubby to agree to go to the USAT AG Nat'ls in August. I mean, seriously...what an experience! There are no guarantees I will qualify this season--no matter what my mother tells me. But we talked about it again this weekend and he seems to be warming up to the idea.
He did give a big green-light to my suggestion of a Black Fly Tri family vacation weekend in the White Mountains in July! I am really excited about this tri, not only because of the course and the event itself, but it'll be a fun family weekend. Also, I am happy to see hubby get excited about doing something around my race schedule! (I wonder if it was the lure of the biergarten at the tri that got him stoked about this race??)
We will be doing some hiking, some exploring and taking Lola to StoryLand!

So decisions were made. Registrations and reservations were completed. The new training plan is in full effect.  I am now off to do a 2-hour ride OUTSIDE with Dawn and I am stoked.
Happy Training and Happy Sunday!

13 comments:

Carly said...

Nice choices! Although you are far braver than I to attempt the Black Fly Tri. Or any tri in the White Mountains for that matter. :-) I have yet to register for my races, but I'm looking forward to it!

Amber said...

How exciting!!! I just registered for my first tri yesterday - I don't know how to swim, but you know, you have to start somewhere :D You are inspiring, little lady. And, clearly, full of #tigerblood.

Tough Chik said...

I can so relate to your decisions. You must me so stoked about 7:40 avg pace, you rock! If you ever want to do a race in Southern California, you have a place to stay :)

mjcaron said...

Hope you had a great bike ride.

Anonymous said...

wow what a running pace! wholly cow girl you are fit :) hope you had a great ride as well :)

Alex said...

I think it's a great way to get the family involved! Any chance that your hubby would take up tris with you? I think it helps a lot to have a partner who is also into this stuff, though, mind you, it then means you're both trying to get training in!

Excellent week of training, Speedy!

Relentless Forward Commotion said...

oooh White mountains, my sorta old stomping grounds!! Glad you are feeling better! I had to just make the transition from marathon to triathlon season. Both at once is a lot to take on!!

My Life said...

You rode outside?? Ooooh, I need your bravery. I keep having visons of me dumping in the sand! :) Yay for a tri planned in the books!

Beth said...

It looks like you are getting focused and are going to have a great tri season!

Caratunk Girl said...

Awesome!! I am so jealous you rode outside! I need to get to southern Maine!! The snowbanks are still halfway in the road.

Blistering run pace there girl, holy crapola. I need to get me some of that (trying)!

Barbie said...

Those are some great choices and Sheesh, you are a smokin fast runner.

Ruben (ruben@triumphtriathlon.com ) said...

Hi Jennifer!

Nice blog you have here. FYI, I created a community of triathlete bloggers online called TriumphTriathlon.com. It's still in BETA phase right now but I'm trying to grow the community. You could also win free entry into the 140.6 of your choice! Please check out. Thanks for your help and keep up the good work on your blog!

Make it a great day,
Ruben

Jason said...

I am a couple of days late here but congrats on graduating.

If you want I can give you my strength training that doesn't neglect my pretty musles and helps with triathlons.