Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Feed me!!

You asked, I deliver. 

I needed to get back on the clean eats bandwagon and made sure to spend some time doing prep work this weekend. I posted a pic on Facebook today of my gluten-free, sugar-free Tropical Muffin and everyone wants the recipe so here you go!

I cannot take credit for the original recipe, I found it on Chocolate Covered Katie  and give it my own  little tweaks!

TROPICAL BREAKFAST MUFFINS




5 cups Old Fashioned Oats
2 cups of smashed very ripe bananas
1/2 cup (packed) of crushed pinapple*
*I used canned, no sugar added
5 Stevia packets OR 5 tsp liquid sweetener such as pure maple/agave or honey
2 2/3 cups of water*
*I used 2/3 cups of the juices from the crushed pineapple and the rest water
1/4 cup coconut oil
2 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract

optional add ins:
*I used what is starred

*shredded coconut, unsweetened
*flax meal
*raisins
*cinnamon
chocolate chips
walnuts
wheat germ
dried fruit

Preheat oven to 380* and line 24-25 muffin/cupcake tins with liners.

In a bowl, combine all dry ingredients and stir well. In another bowl, combine your wet ingredients including banana and pineapple. Mix wet and dry well. Scoop into muffin tins and bake for about 22 mins. 

I kept some out and froze some too. I found that when hot/warm, they stuck to the muffin liner (of course I could not wait to try one!) but once they cool, the liner comes right off. 
 These are fabulous with almond butter for breakfast--Quick, easy and clean! Thanks Katie!! 



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And then there is today's lunch. I swear, I consumed this sammy with a bunch of tomatoes in less than 2 mins post swim. 

This is actually my secret post workout nosh that has become a favorite of mine and I crave them after a good training session!














Ok, this sounds a little crazy but it's so good. I usually just use whatever veggies I have on hand but there is always some

red lettuce
spinach
sriracha sauce
sour pickles-not DILL, sour!
hummus

Today's creation was on an oatmeal and flax pita bread with

cracked chili pepper hummus
a layer of spinach and lettuce topped with sriracha
layer some sprouts 
then sliced avocado
shredded carrots
sliced sour pickles
a schmear of hummus

there is something magical about the combo of sour pickle and hot sriacha sauce. The avocado and hummus just give it a creamy balance (and some good fats/proteins!) 

What's your go-to post workout snack or meal??

Be sure to check out Cook Train Eat Race for great recipes. I will be sharing one of my favorite recipes soon on his Recovery Meal Blog Carnival

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Omg thats an awesome Veggie sandwich !!!
from Joel

Unknown said...

Those muffins look yummy! Will try them this weekend, thanks for the recipe

Running With The Girls said...

Those muffins and that sandwich look and sound to die for. I am so going to have to make them!

Big Daddy Diesel said...

I feel so boring, I can cook, I feel I am a good cook (good as good enough for my taste buds) but I lack the creativity I see from other people.

Everything looks so good

Unknown said...

The carnival s going to be amazing. Can't wait too see everybody's recipes.

Mediterranean Food For The Win!

Frickin' Fabulous at 40 said...

I'm a dill/bread and butter girl. I can't do garlic and i don't think I've ever had a sour pickle!