Friday, February 28, 2014

Which Whey?

My whey or the highway...

Ha! love it. I am actually reposting this blog from one of my athletes who is also a former scientist. I love that she digs into the science behind nutrition and training. We can have totally geeky convos about all kinds of stuff! Anyway, when it comes to protein supplements, not all are created the same.

Do you know what is in YOUR protein powder? 

Heavy metals? Hormones? Stimulants?

I love that MY whey is organic, from grazing grass fed happy cows that are not pumped up with hormones and antibiotics. My protein powder is safe for children, pregnant and nursing Mom's and provides a full range of amino acids and nutrients. 


Enjoy!:

_________________________________

In keeping with my new Friday theme of “Food Fact Friday”, I’m taking a look at Whey protein powders.
I was introduced to protein powder about 5 years, when I started working with a trainer at the gym.   She recommended a protein powder, that was awesome!!  Loved it!  But as time went on, I started to learn about protein powders and what was in them.
And I started to learn what I DIDN’T want in my body.   As part of my “building a bada$$ triathlete” this year, I kicked up my nutrition plan.  Switched over to organic meat, (I already was eating fish 1-2x’s/week) and upped my veggies.   And my nutritional plan has a new protein powder.   And I kept hearing how this one was so much better, from athletes, I respect, who were feeling a difference in their performance.
Being the researcher that I am, I took a very close look at not only the ingredients but WHERE they were coming from.
science_microscopeAll whey comes from milk.   NOW, I’m one of those folks  who firmly believes that if we ingest things, like whey, that come from an animal, then what condition that animal is raised and handled, affects that food.   Instead of me getting on my soap box and talking about how those factors affect our food, here is a GREAT article that explains it in detail.
Grass fed vs grain fed <<<-----seriously b="" read="" this="">
I LOVE the paragraph that says It’s not only important what we eat. It also matters what the foods that we eat, ate.”
And that is the take home message for me.   The protein source for my nutrition plan is from grass fed, free roaming cows.  Whey protein from grass-fed cows deliver more amino acids and nutrients, is made with the finest non-denatured,  cold processed whey protein concentrate from grass-fed cows that are not hormone treated.
So, I’m taking in a protein powder that my body loves!!!   And did you know????
  • The more natural your food, the more lean muscle and the less body-fat you’ll probably have (this is because natural foods are assimilated better into the body)
  • Toxins that you ingest can impair the fat burning and muscle building processes
My objective, in using protein powder, is to gain more lean muscle and drop the body fat.  And by using a protein drink that does that AND has no “add-ins” (like hormones that the cow was given), I feel I am cleaning out my body a bit more.   We are subjected to taking in toxins we don’t want (pollution, pesticides, etc) and if I can take control of some of that, I know my health will benefit.
I LOVE my new nutrition plan!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wouldn't egg white protein powder be better?? Not a fan of Whey. I am gluten and dairy free for gut reasons. :)