Monday, February 27, 2012

Monday Mashup


Really...it's been that long since I did a blog post??
Bad bad blogger!!

Coach Awesome effectively kicked my biscuits this weekend after a pretty easy recovery week. Part of it was my own fault. I wrote up a killer leg focused boot camp class for Friday morning and actually participated with the entire class. Lots of deep squats, lunges, wall sits, with heavy weight etc. I mean, really. How foolish could I have been?

I did not have my training schedule in TP as of Thursday night but c'mon. I KNOW that the heavy training loads are always on the weekend and she had warned me that there would be lots of time in the saddle. Saturday we had a big swim and a bike sesh of what I lovingly refer to as a Grind-n-Climb (grind at 60 cadence focusing on using your glutes and then standing climbs) for 10,000 intervals (ok, maybe a slight exaggeration) and Sunday was another hard bike session of long, progressive heart rate intervals followed by a long run of more let's see if we can make your heart explode (again-slight exaggeration).
All smiles in the middle of it all :)


this is starting to hurt a little bit

My sticks were so freaking beat come Sunday's ride that I could not hold the last 20 minute interval on the bike-I just has nothing left. I finished the workout, frustrated that I could not eek out 7 more minutes of hell on my legs but completed my time in the saddle.


nearding DONE notice ipod on ceiling to keep it from drowning

I eased into my run real slow and cautious and after 1:15 I thought my legs were going to burst. They felt like sausages. It was funny-they felt swollen and tight-but they weren't, they were just tired and felt loaded with lead. But once I was able to pick up the pace for some of the higher HR stuff, I felt better. I had to take a couple quick breaks-more than I would have liked-but I was focused on completing the workout.

Now, I don't question Coach Awesome. I mean if I have questions, I ask for I don't question her methods. She tells me to do XYZ, I do XYZ. Frankly, it the woman told me to tape dill pickles to my visor and run in circles for 2 hours, I would just do it. I trust her.

I have to admit, I was thinking about Quassy during this weekend's sessions and I know this is going to be a challenging race. I was thinking "man, this sh!t is haaaard" while running in the 160's hr at the end of a LONG run but I managed and I did not die or puke. I know I never challenged myself like this last season so I am happy with the choice to take on a Coach this year. I am even more stoked that it's Coach Awesome.

But the best thing about that hard run? I woke up this morning with legs that felt fresh and ready to rock 'n roll!! I think that run scared all the DOMS right out of my legs.
Happy dance 


I have mentioned that my amazing Rev 3 Triathlon team mates are Running Across America to raise funds for Ulman Cancer Fund. I will be running with them-in spirit-since I am unable to join them on their two week trek across the USA. They will be starting in Cali and ending in Washington DC-that's 3,080 miles folks.
map
While they are on the road running, I will be running right here but I will be running at least a mile every day while they are out on the road. I will be sure to keep you all updated on their progress.

I am trying to raise at least $1,000.00 for Ulman Cancer Fund. I have a little over 500 followers on my blog. I ask if each of you could donate just $2.00 to this effort, that would help me reach my goal. And it would help many young adults with cancer get the help they need. I know that there are a lot of wondeful causes out there to support but if you could help in any way, it would be great.

I am trying to put together a prize package for anyone who donates to this-so far I have some great things for Tough Chik and GOTRIbal to offer. YOU KNOW I'll come up with some awesome swag.

So here's the deal-for every $2.00 donated thru this link (and please pick my name from the drop down list when asked-it's Jen Small for those of you who don't know that) you will earn one entry into the giveaway! It's that easy. I'll keep you updated on the prizes.
All you have to do is leave me a comment that you donated and how many entries you earned.
Don't wanna comment? Feel free to email me directly at jsmall14(at)maine.rr.com




9 comments:

Emily K said...

Ask and you shall receive! Just donated $10...You rock!

Katie said...

I am totally going to ask if I can tape dill pickles to my visor. :)

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail said...

Oh wow!! You spent some hellish time in the saddle--so hard. I'm going to use you as my inspiration for my Spin class profile Thursday!

Kara said...

As someone who is also raising $$$$ for The Ulman Cancer Fund (Go Team Fight!!!!), I would love to donate some Chickbands for your prize giveaway.... Shoot me an email...I would love to help :)

Kara

misszippy said...

Nice sweat session there!

I am posting about the virtual run myself tomorrow and gonna encourage everyone to get involved. I love the Ulman Fund!

hillary said...

omg i love the ipod attached to cieling situation....that is amazing. and brilliant.

Melissa Cunningham said...

holy workout batman!

Jason said...

Rock on sister. Love the iPod on the ceiling and hopefully cord is long enough so when you go in aero you down rip down the entire ceiling.......

Keep up the great work and that is why I choose to be coached as well. It will always push me harder than I will ever push myself.

What do I need to do for the team that you posted about on Facebook.....fill me in.

Stephanie Anne said...

I donated $10! Good luck!!!