Sunday, December 5, 2010

Warm Peanut Butter Cookies for Breakfast!

One breakfast staple in our home is oatmeal-my favorite being steel cut oats. They take a bit longer to make than those little instant packages of oatmeal (which are loaded with sugar!) but they are SOOOO worth the extra time and effort. Making steel cut oats is actually quite simple. It only takes about 20 mins on the stovetop. It is a four to one ratio so for 1 cup of dry steel cut oats you need 4 cups of water. I usually make 1/2 of that that so 2 cups of water and a 1/2 cup of the steel cut oats, which makes two very generous portions of oats.

My very favorite recipe for SCO (steel cut oats) tastes just like warm peanut butter cookies.

Prepare the SCO's as described above (or according to your package directions). I use traditional SCO's and have never tried the quick cook variety. Use whatever you like. 

I usually portion out directly into my bowl and then let the peanut butter cookie madness begin.
To my bowl I add-
1 generous teaspoon of all natural peanut butter (I like crunchy for this)
a teaspoon or so of honey
a sprinkle of cinnamon
1/3-1/2 of a banana (depending on size)
your choice of milk (cow, almond, soy, coconut-whatever you like!)

Let the spoonfull of PB sit on top of the hot oats for a minute or so-the warmth will get the PB all melty and will make it easy to stir.
Mix well and top with a splash of milk.

I love this breakfast any day but it is perfect for those Sunday long runs. The protein and the fats from the PB keep me satisfied, the oats provide quality slow digesting carbohydrates while the honey and banana give you "quick" sugars. I have never had any GI issues with this as breakfast as long as I eat this 1/2 hour or so before I run. Plus it is so dang good!!
I hope you like this as much as I do!

9 comments:

Emz said...

I am making this as soon as I p/u my peanut from her sleepover [now...blog commenting while on the freeway....hmmm this is probably frowned on in most states] whatever.
Today is my rest day but I'm goin for it anyway. ;)
I'll need those fats & carbs for something today.

Unknown said...

Oh, YUM! Your blog post title had me INVESTED in reading this post immediately! I'm going to try this out this morning.
Thanks for the recommendation to read Beth's blog! I've been following her for a long time and I emailed her about how to wear my ipod Shuffle. She's been so helpful, even though I'm not embracing the pool as much as she has.
Thanks!!!
meg

Unknown said...

EMZ-enjoy!! please be careful blogging while driving :)

Meg-enjoy the pool for the time being :P SUAR is hilarious.

Tricia said...

yum, thanks for sharing!

Running Mama x5 said...

That looks divine. I need to learn to like oatmeal. LOL

Melissa Cunningham said...

in words of Rachel Ray...
YUMM-O!!!
just the thing i needed today!!!!
will def add this to my list of easy peasy breakfasts!
AND my kids will LOVE it as well!!!!

:)

Unknown said...

This looks good! Im going to give it a try! Thanks for Sharing!

Aimee said...

Yum! I make my oatmeal like that too! :)

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail said...

Thanks for sharing!! What a YUMMY recipe! I will have to try this fo sure!! What a perfect meal on a cool day!