Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Tougher than a Cornflake

Sometimes the universe speaks to you in quiet ways. Sometimes is shouts.
This week, it yelled directly into my ear.

It told me that I was heading in the right direction-just keep going!!

While I do not lack motivation or drive to train on most days, there are those times when I just don't have the "oomph" I normally do or I find it a bit frustrating to have my workouts interrupted (ie: Lola smacking up a little boy in the Y daycare. Lola waking up early while I am trying to get my bike groove on. Hubby working late or being out of town. whatever)

I am a stay-at-home-Mom. While in THEORY is was easy decision for my husband &  I to make-to stay with my daughter and be Mommy-it was not so easy to give up my salary. In doing so, we sacrificed a lot of things by cutting our income in half. I don't have the budget to buy a great, new tri bike right now nor do I have the funds to hire a tri coach to learn the things I need to learn-I would love a (bike) trainer so I could ride the bike I DO have but for now I am resigned to the stat bike. Swimming is my weakest discipline right now and I could really use some lessons and/or a swim coach.
-but these things are not going to deter me. I will find a way to make these things happen.
I never quit and I don't question my motivation. I am trying to put a plan together to make it all work. I am reading. I am researching. I am learning. Working with what I have.

One day this week I was feeling down and a bit frustrated with some of these issues as well as some things that were out of my control.
Then-
I stumbled upon a link to a blog this week via Twitter.

Come to find out, this blog is written by a rockstar Maine Triathlete and Endurance Coach. Just the name of her blog alone should motivate you!

It's YOU vs. Can't, YOU vs. Excuses, YOU vs. the Odds--Let's see what YOU've got

The post that was Tweeted was titled
Where it all starts
(here is an excerpt)

It doesn't matter what your friends are doing. It doesn't matter what they think. It makes no difference whether or not your husband thinks it would be fun or if your parents would be proud.


You can't do it for them.
You Must do it for You.


If you want to succeed, it Must come from your Heart.

I highly suggest reading the entire post.

This just solidified everything I have been thinking about and planning for the last month or so.

Getting up at 3:45pm to ride the bike instead of sleeping in.
Running anytime I can make it happen, even if it means pushing 50lbs in the jogging stroller-or running in the dark. Or in the cold wind. Or the snow.
Swimming until I am waterlogged and wrinkled.
Selling my designer handbags to buy a new bike.
Eating steel cut oats instead of Captain Crunch to fuel my body.

These are some of the things I am doing because I have goals I want to achieve, I have dreams that I will make a reality.


I have the HEART to put in the work.
and I am tougher than a cornflake
(read the blog post to understand)


The neighbors can continue to stare at me as I run by in my dayglo orange or neon yellow reflective tops as I head out onto the roads in the dark. My husband can laugh when I want to fit in a second workout of the day. My non-runner/triathlete friends can shake their heads in confusion.

There are a couple friends that "get it" and I hold them close. I am sure there are many of you out in bloggy land that COMPLETELY understand.

I am going to continue creating FrankenJen in full force-one mile at a time!

"FAILURE WILL NEVER OVERTAKE ME IF MY DETERMINATION TO SUCCEED IS STRONG ENOUGH" ~Og Mandino


What sacrifices have you or do you make to reach your goals?

13 comments:

Emz said...

JL - I love this. That post was amazing. I think it can go even beyond using this practice in our athletic lives. I need this same motivation in my personal life as well.

Thanks so much for posting this.

you
are
incredible.

Unknown said...

Great Post! Thanks Jen for sharing it. You are a rock star and inspiration.

GetBackJoJo said...

Yes, that was a great post by Ange! And that cornflake line is the absolute best!!
You will have a great season. :)

Anonymous said...

Loved this! Right when I needed it too...thanks for posting!

Aimee said...

Awesome post! I saw that post by Ange and loved it too!

Melissa Cunningham said...

LOVED THIS!!!!
so true at so many levels!!!

Heather said...

That was a great post, thanks for sending me there. I like the quote at the end of your post!

KovasP said...

Go FrankenJen! Thanks for the blog link.

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail said...

LOVE your determination!! Thank you for posting this!

I haven't sacrificed anything like you! I'm still in awe of all the running/training mamas out there and how you all do it?!!!!

I have sacrificed fatty foods calling my name the night before a long run, knowing I will be draging @$$ the next day, staying up late, dairy products before the race, but nothing like you amazing moms!

Jason said...

FrankenJen....TY for that link. I started hearing Chariots of Fire and Rocky in my head at the same time.

I got fired up just from seeing the blood on her leg.

TY so much for this link and kudos to you kiddo....you my friend are no CornFlake.

Molly said...

as a SAHM myself, this hits home....I have one person in my life who gets it (not my hubs), everyone else just doesn't.

Tricia said...

LOVE it! thanks for sharing

Christina @ AccomplishingMotherhood said...

Oh my, your a bad ass and I'm a Pansy.
I hit the snooze button when I plan on waking up for early swims, and I hide behind my double Stroller on cold days, declaring that it's to cold to push the kids put. This post was an ass kicker. We all need need to make sacrifices, it just comes down to who's bad ass enough to make tthem!