Monday, December 6, 2010

Questions, High Heels, Laundry & Chuck Norris

First, I want to thank everyone for their very nice comments on Friday's post (Fat A$$ Friday...From There to Here). It has been an amazing journey!

If I inspired just one person then I feel like the post did it's job. Please, don't ever give up on your dreams!

To answer a couple questions I got about that post and my weight loss-

No. I did not get gastric bypass surgery. While this may be a viable option for some, it was not for me. I think that GBS is not always successful at addressing the reasons you got fat in the first place. If you do not learn new behaviours and/or change the destructive ones, then you will not be successful with long term success. I feel that getting healthy requires a lifestyle overhaul. My experience in medicine has shown me first hand that some medical practices are all too willing to push this procedure through the insurance companies and the therapy, counseling, nutritional education procedures that used to be in place prior to surgery are no longer a priority. Money is. This is my opinion and yours may differ-and that is OK. I am just very passionate about doing it in the healthiest way possible.

No. I did not take diet pills or any other kind of dietary "supplements" such as fat burners. I lost the weight by changing what I was eating and by getting my fat ass off the couch. I slowly switched over to a lifestyle of eating clean foods (meaning unprocessed), I started eating every couple of hours and drinking water. I also cut out all alcohol.

How did I start with exercise? Exercise was a slow start for me-I stared with walking on the TM at the gym and then slowly progressed from there. Lola was a c-section baby so that also contributed to a slow start. Once I started weight training, my body really started changing shape.
I am a huge advocate of circuit training! Love her or hate her, Jillian Michael's was a life saver for me at the start. My first intro to circuit style training and weights were with her DVD's and her book, Making the Cut. I learned SO much from her about how to workout to maximize fat loss and how to eat. She used to have a really great radio show on KFI but it is no longer on.
Still to this day I utilize her basic set ups for my circuits/weight training (resistance exercises x 2 with 2 cardio/plyo bursts then one ab/core exercise). I write up 5 circuits and do each one twice. It usually takes an hour or so.

How long did it take me to lose the weight? It took me about 14 months. I have been at my current weight since April of 2010. Yes, I did this with a newborn baby as a new Mommy. Yes, my husband was incredibly supportive.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I got out Sunday for a quick 4 mile run in my new pink Kinvara's and I love 'em.

However, running in the new grey suede 6" platform heels, not so comfy!

NOTE TO EMZ: They are Paris Hilton shoes believe it or not-you can find them here. Didn't even know SHE did shoes but...Orig retail $100, TJMaxx clearance price? $15.00. The style is called Sashay-
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sunday I had a really hard time finding my motivation to get out and run. After two weeks of great workouts, I think my body was just asking for a bit of a break. I spent the majority of the day playing with Lola-coloring, playing hide-n-go seek, watching Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer on DVR over and over....

Lola and her Bungle Bee!
Somewhere along the way I managed to get 4 loads of laundry washed and folded. And she managed to find a great place to cuddle up with her blanket and take a nap.
Right in the laundry basket. 




I am so excited for the coming weekend! I am attending a Joel Freil seminar and I am looking forward to learning a lot! I am also pretty excited to meet some amazing triathletes-including fellow Maine Triathlete and blogger Caratunk Girl-

I will be wearing the super cool Punk Rock Racing shirt called Chuckball (as long as it makes it here in time!!) Be sure to check out PRR's site for some really great stuff.


Chuckball
FROM PRR: Sure, Chuck Norris is a badass BUT even he hasn’t completed an Ironman (pansy).





15 comments:

Melissa Cunningham said...

loved reading this!
loved the pic of the SHOES
AND of course the pics of baby girl lola!
i think i have some pictures of alex,looking all cute sleeping soundly.....except she was under the time out chair! LOL!!!!!

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Good for you on the "no surgery". While my Dad was having heart valve replacement, I ran into a guy in the waiting room that was my age and had gone through the surgery. He lost 200 or so pounds but the surgery had altered his life forever. He can't drink or eat certain foods, or he will probably die...... not much of a life.

Emz said...

The coolest CN shirt ever!

Thanks for the info on the shoes!!!! You are rockin' them woman!!!

LOVE IT!

KovasP said...

I sense a high heel contest brewing! Points will be given for speed, style, and originality.

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Even though you didnt explain how you lost the weight in the last post, I had a feeling how you did and I was right after reading this, Congrats again

Leah F said...

Congratulations on setting up a healthy weight loss plan and sticking with it. Truly inspiring.

To answer your question: I used to have several cool backless tops, back in the days when I was going out a lot, and ironically enough, long before I started my backpiece. Now I think I'm going to have to invest in some new ones!!

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog, Wow, what an inspiring transformation! I liked your oatmeal recipe too! I love to put PB and cocoa powder in mine, it tastes like a no bake!

Teamarcia said...

Fantastic shoes and shirt!

Jason said...

Let me say this....you and EMZ are AMAZING for even thinking about putting those things on your feet. I mean seriously....the things women do us me don't dream of. I am happy to go put on my racing flats right now and walk without thinking of tipping over.

Again, great inspiration and your blog will be one I point to for the participants of Marathon Makeover.

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail said...

High heel contest!! yes, yes!!

Super cute CN shirt!!

Congrats on your healthy wight loss--you should be super proud!!

Aimee said...

Ha ha...that pic of you "running" in the heels was hilarious! :)
Yay for blogger meet-ups! Have fun!

Unknown said...

I so tell people it is a life long commitment to exercise, dieting and fitness. Gastric Bypass is an easy fix and if you don't fix the problem you don't fix your eating and you can balloon up again. I've seen it in some of my patients!! You are an inspiration and you should be proud!!

RunToTheFinish said...

great info! love that you found the way that works for you to get healthy... those heels however are scary! :)

Erika said...

That shirt is AWESOME! And I love your little one in the laundry basket...who would have though a simple cheap basket can provide HOURS of entertainment!

coach dion said...

Best T-shirt ever, I've done IRONMAN twice... always thought I was more of a man than Chuck!!!