Monday, August 16, 2010

Tri for a Cure~Day One



Saturday was Day One at the 3rd annual Maine Cancer Foundations Tri for a Cure. This woman's only sprint triathlon ( a 1/3 mile swim, 15 mile cycle and 3 mile run) is a celebration of strength and spirit.

Back in June I was contemplating cutting my triathlon teeth on this particular tri but since registration filled in 8 mins (back in February) I was not able to participate as an athlete as this amazing event this year so I decided that I would volunteer instead. I am SO glad I was able to be a part of it all!

Saturday morning I skipped my normal workout regime to head up to the Southern Maine Community College campus for 7:30am to start my volunteer duties. The email I got from Mari said that I would be helping with the Kid's Fun Run and I was psyched. I am so passionate about kids being active and healthy so this was a perfect assignment for me.

The AquaRun and Kid's Fun Run gang~what a great crew!

I would be working in the registration tent and then at the finish line to "tag" the first, second and third place girls crossing the finish line.


Willie, me and Alexa-All Smiles!

The group of volunteers I worked with were all so nice and everyone worked together to make sure the flow of people was as smooth as can be.

The Kids Fun Run ages 4-6 sprinting for the finish line!
I was so happy to see so many kids getting involved~for the Kid's Fun Run there were 3 races; aged 4-6, ages 7-9 and ages 10-12. This year there was also a Youth AquaRun with an open ocean 100 yard swim then a 1 mile run. The Maine Cancer Foundation partnered with Foundations Multisport for the Youth Aqua/Run. Foundations Multisport has started a Healthy Habits Youth Triathlon Series.
I was excited to meet Erika DeGeorge and Charles Melton on Saturday~we chatted about getting kids active and healthy. During our chat I discovered that they are both active in my local community and that Charles is the Race Director for my first tri on 9/25, The Mainiac!!


Mari Miya-Volunteer Coordinator (left)

Abby Bliss-Race Director (center)/

Julie Marchese-Race Director (right)

Holly, Tri Athlete and Wendy, Tri Athlete & Volunteer


After the races were done, I ventured out with Tri for a Cure volunteer and participant, Wendy and her son Colby to hit the Expo. There were all kinds of vendors with goodies galore~including ice cream sundaes. I scored some pink pom-poms, a Frisbee and sippie cup for Lola from the Bank of America tent. There was all kinds of stuff-too much to list it all but I think my favorite item was a Tri for the Cure bag filled with all kinds of lip balm, suncreen, samples and coupons! (Thanks Louise)

When I arrived early that morning CycleMania had several bikes at their tent that I was drooling over and I liked the green bike in the pic the best. Later that day I discovered that this bike was being raffled off! Of course I filled out 7 tickets and hoped for the best! Who knows...after winning some Anti Monkey Butt from Heather last week maybe just maybe I would win this too!!

Could this be my new tri bike???? I'm crossing my fingers!

I am so glad I decided to volunteer for this event~I met some amazing people-volunteers, athletes, survivors. It was such a positive event and I can't wait to do it again next year. Hopefully next year I will be participating in the Tri as well!

2 comments:

AM! said...

The race filled up in 8 minutes!! holy moly!

and my kids would LOVE to do the sprint race. that is too cute;-)

..:danielle:.. said...

i wrote a very similar blog to yours (i also volunteered!)
and im still hoping they call me for that bike... we can fight over it haha