Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Run A Mile in My Sneakers...

Recently I got to reconnect with a long time childhood friend and catch up on the last 20+ years since we last saw each other. We chatted about life, kids, family and the road we have travelled along the way--we shared the challenges, the triumphs, the mistakes and the memories. We have both faced some pretty tough situations and have come out on the other side still moving forward and trying to be the best version of ourselves.

It really got me thinking about the bigger picture and how in the end all we really need in life is love, kindnesssupport and understanding.


No one is perfect.
Each one of us has faltered and made mistakes.
You live, you learn and hopefully you grow from the experiences, learn and become stronger person.

As I stare 40 in the face (less than a month away), I embrace the ME I am today and the struggles I experienced to get here...to the person writing this, right now. I am pretty happy with the ME I have finally become.

While some of the things I have done in my life make me cringe now, it made me who I am today. Some of the times were painful, dark and lonely, but it makes me appreciate the bright life I live today.
I would not change a thing (ok, maybe a few things...) because without those life experiences, I would not be HERE. As I have said over and over, HERE is pretty damn good!

I am finally comfortable in my own skin, with who and I am and what I have to offer as a human being.
Gone are the days of trying to live to someone else's standards or trying to live life to satisfy other people's judgements.



I am happy and at peace with ME. 
Funky, silly, inappropriate-at-times, Energizer Bunny ME.
Quirks and all.



I think of this friend and how even just a few years ago, before I went through this journey, that I probably would have been very judgemental of some of some of her experiences...and who am I to do that to anyone??  I have never walked a mile in her shoes. Or anyone else's shoes for that matter.

just as no one has walked in mine...or run a mile in my sneakers.

“How would your life be different if…You stopped making negative judgmental assumptions about people you encounter? Let today be the day…You look for the good in everyone you meet and respect their journey.” 
― Steve MaraboliLife, the Truth, and Being Free

Behind every person, there is a story. A path that brought that person to the being they are today.




So today, put judgement aside. Be kind.
Not only for others, but for YOU too.



1 comment:

ajh said...

Great post!
I am trying to complain less. I have some friends in very serious health situations and it makes my worries pretty small.
My life has only improved with each decade. Turning 40 will rock!