Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Eating in the Cave

Here we are in week two of cave dwelling (aka eating paleo for the athlete) and these are some of the yummy veggie eats we have been enjoying!

Roasted Cauliflower
This dish so simple. Chop the cauliflower, put into a glass dish, drizzle with your favorite oil, add a little pepper and roast for about 35-45 mins on 425.


The base of the slaw-shredded veggies!


Shredded carrots, cabbages, broccolli. Mix with the juice of 1 lime, some lime zest, 2 tbsp paleo mayo, a handful of cilantro, a dash of cayenne. Mix and let sit in the fridge for a while.
Spicy Slaw
Tuna stuffed avacado

Cut an avacado in 1/2-stuff with tuna or salmon, a teaspoon of another easy paleo mayo, lemon juice, chopped onion, red pepper, celery. I topped it with pea shoots and a lemon wedge.
Green Monster Salad

This is my new favorite. Mix your favorite green lettuces with baby spinach,
top with some pea shoots and cilantro dressing. 
To make the dressing mix a big handfull of cilantro, the juice of 2 lemons, a dash of pepper and a little drizzle of oil. Whiz in your blender or food processor.  
Sauteed Italian Squash with mushrooms

Small Italian squash (aka zucchini) sauteed with coconut oil and mushrooms.
I added a dash of crushed red pepper flakes to add a little zip!

We have had lots of grilled chicken, roasted chicken and then making soups and stews from the roasted chicken bones. We have been making all kinds of chili and soup recipes.

I picked up some beautiful wild trout so had that last night for dinner. YUM! and tonight is Very meaty chili with steak, ground beef, ground turkey and veggies chopped up in there (shhhhh-don't tell hubby!) 
I have to say, I am not really feeling like I am missing anything here. I feel good and my energy is just fine.

Oh, did I mention that the scale dropped a pound and a half?? Yeah. Happy about that too! Who knows, maybe I will have abs like EMZ this summer (ya, right!)

14 comments:

TRI714 said...

That all looks great, but that cauliflower makes my mouth water. MMMMMMMMM

Katie said...

OMG everything looks amazing, definitely trying ALL of it :D

Big Daddy Diesel said...

I am interested in this, heard it is so hard to follow.

Emz said...

whatever. lady. you have them now.

Thanks for the idea on the Cauliflower [why, did I just capitalize a veggie, like it was a state?!] weird.

Anyway. looks. freaking. amazing.

Unknown said...

BDD-I am actually doing ok with it and I think it is a much friendlier version than traditional paleo plans.

EMZ-IF I had your abs right now I would be running outside in Maine during a snowstorm in a sportsbar. No lie. No Exaggeration. The day my abs look like that, I will be 1/2 naked daily.
Oh the Cap C. It's the State of Cali-flower.
ha ha ha ha ha

KovasP said...

I don't like to whiz in my blender or food processor. Bad aftertaste. Otherwise it all sounds good.

My Life said...

Ooooh that dressing sounds good! And might have to try the slaw too!

Melissa Cunningham said...

yay for the lbs lost!!!!!
and yeah,when i get my abs like EMZ,ill be 1/2 naked all day as well!!!
:)

Heather said...

This post made me hungry! Thanks for posting all of the recipes. I definitely want to try them out, they all sound yummy (healthy too)!

GetBackJoJo said...

Jen! I was living across from MGH too on Grove Street! The year before that I lived on Garden Street. Where were you?

Teamarcia said...

Ooooh you are doing great!
My Caveman hubby is such a crap veggie eater. He mixes up some green gunk in a glass and drinks it--ugg!

Rebecca said...

thank you for the recipes. You have my wheels turning about this style of food. I had never heard of it!

A Prelude To... said...

Great ideas! You and Dawn impressed me so much with your sticktoitiveness to Paleo that you have inspired me to add in more paleoish meals in the last couple of days! THANKS!

Shawn said...

If you like cauliflower then you should try (if you haven't already) cauliflower rice. It's perfect to eat with a yummy paleo curry :D

I have a recipe on my recipe blog... nom nom nom.