Monday, October 25, 2010

Monday's Musings

When rest is best-
Lola has been battling the sniffles since Saturday and I think she has been so generous as to share those pesky little germs with me. I feel ok but a little run down~so after a great week of training I may just call today a rest day. I do struggle with taking rest days at times so I may get out for a short and easy BOB run if I can beat the rain showers today. I did read that short bursts of moderate activity actually lessen the duration of a cold and boost the immune system so I could actually be helping myself!

Smashing Pumpkins-
I made the big mistake of trying Pumpkin coffee at Dunkin Donuts on Friday after a rather chilly BOB Brigade run. Oh. My. Delish. Sooooo yummy~so I have been jonesing for pumpkin coffee all weekend. Hubby was nice enough to make an emergency stop at DD yesterday so I could get an extra-large one. This pumpkin coffee has now triggered an interest in creating other pumpkin treats so I am searching for some healthy pumpkin treats. If you know of or have any great pumpkin recipes, please share!!



Running Wild-
Last week was a great running week for me--I am finally getting out for more frequent runs and it makes me happy. I have not had a 30+ mile week in quite a while and I was happy to hit 30 last week. The gym change over to the Y has also made me create more weekend running time. My local Y does not open until 11am so this means Sunday morning will now officially go back to LONG RUN SUNDAY. I want to rebuild my long runs back to 15-18 miles and make sure I am getting in those hill workouts and some speed work mid-week


Taking a break in the leaves post-run on Saturday with Dawn
The weekend was perfect for running-I got out with Jana twice (Friday and Sunday) and ran with Dawn on Saturday! I can't remember the last time I had my ipod on a run.



Podcasts-
Speaking of iPods, I am going to try shifting my long run entertainment from music to podcasts. I am currently on the prowl for some good ones focused on running, triathlon and training. I got a couple great suggestions from friends on Dailymile but I would LOVE to hear what YOU are listening to right now!



Getting Wet-
I have not been in the pool for a couple weeks and I miss it! This was one big reason I changed gyms so I have to make sure that I am getting some swim time. A TI clinic just started up so I want to catch a couple drop in sessions. I have so much to learn about swimming, I really need to take advantage of my access to the pool.

Cycling & Re-Cycling-
I also need to get my butt out on my bike! It has been tough to get out because it is so dark and cold early morning and it's getting dark earlier and earlier. I think I need to add a ride to my weekend workout schedule!
I am saddened at how disrespectful people still are of our environment-there is so much litter and debris on the side of the road and tons of empty cans! Here in Maine there is a 5cent deposit you must pay on any canned or bottled item. I saw SO many empties along the sides of the roads this week-mostly beer cans. Lots of them! I have pondered the thought of bringing a large garbage bag with me and picking up these empties. I could make almost a buck a run I bet...maybe even more. Something to think about.



Well here's to a new week-What do you plan to accomplish this week??

6 comments:

KovasP said...

Check out TriTopics, Chris does a really nice job.

Unknown said...

thanks Kova~will do!

Emz said...

I love the leaves photo. One day I will enjoy "fall" somewhere leaves actually fall.

pumpkin ---------- yuuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Big Daddy Diesel said...

I like the Age Groupers, Kelownagurl, Been Greenfield, Rock Star Triathlon, some oldies that arnt around anymore, but can still get off Itunes are Tri Geek Kahuna and Simply Stu.

..:danielle:.. said...

i heart p.u.m.p.k.i.n EVERYTHING!!!!!! love this time of year maybe for that sole purpose alone haha.
heres a good recipe... although im sure it cant be good for you, haha
http://www.rachaelrayshow.com/food/recipes/pumpkin-tortellini-lasagna/

Aimee said...

I love pumpkin everything!! I recently learned how to make my own pumpkin latte! Yum! I'm posting the recipe on Wed, so check it out!

I just got back in the pool this morning after being away from it for almost a month! Yikes! It felt so good to be back in the water!