Wednesday, September 29, 2010

What's Up Wednesday

It's Wednesday~what's up?
First, it has been a great week so far. We started a new Fall Fitness Challenge in my Mommy's fitness group (Work it Out Sexy Mama!) on Monday~ a little friendly competition is always fun for me. The challenge workout I posted this week was a quickie but boy-oh-boy, my inner thighs are is feeling it today! 15 mins to complete as many rounds of 50 jump rope jacks and 30 crunch/oblique crunches as possible. I got in 6 full rounds and almost a seventh. I fell short by 7 crunches :( Being back to basics with eating clean is also helping me feel really good! I want that little 4 pack back!!
Speaking of eating clean, I attempted a new dessert this week. Baked apples with pear & almond stuffing. With all the apples we have this seemed like the perfect recipe to try!

Baked Apple With Pear and Almond Filling
1 large apple, halved and cored
2 teaspoons reduced-fat cream cheese, divided
1 small pear, cored and diced very small
1/2 teaspoon light brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons chopped almonds, divided
3 tablespoons water or apple juice

Preparation
Preheat oven to 350°F. Slice apple in half. Use a spoon or small ice cream scoop to scoop out some apple flesh from each half, making room for the filling. (You can eat the apple flesh if you like — no need to reserve.) Dab 1 teaspoon cream cheese in the cavity of each half.
Toss the diced pear with brown sugar and cinnamon. Spoon pear filling into each apple half. Sprinkle pear filling with almonds, pressing down to make them adhere. Place apple halves in a baking dish and add water or apple juice to the dish. Cover and bake for 30 minutes, then baste with juices. Bake uncovered for another 10 minutes, or until almonds are roasted.
Makes 2 servings.

It was ok. Not amazing~just ok. I mean, I ate it. So did hubby and Lola. I think I am going to tweak the recipe out a bit and will get back to you with more! I am thinking of mixing some almond butter INTO the cream cheese and doing a drizzle of honey or maple syrup on top.
This morning's plan for an early easy run was a giant FAIL! Hubby got me up at the crack of 4am to get going but Lola had other plans. The "no nap kid" did not nap yesterday so she was sound asleep at 6pm last night~which means up early too!!

I had a lovely breakfast with Lola this morning~I had an egg white omelet (4 egg whites/1 whole egg) with spinach and cottage cheese and she had scrambled eggs with a Van's ww waffle and PB & honey dippin'


The PB & Honey Dippin' ended up smeared all over her so into the tub she went~good thing I was still sporting my Nike DriFit running shorts and tank because all the splashes dried really quick!


Now for some really exciting news!!


Danielle (ooh breath, just breathe) has awarded me the prestigious Versatile Blogger Award!


rules for winning this award:
*thank and link back to the person who gave you the award*


Danielle~thank you. Thank you for the award and thank you for even reading this blog. I am truly honored and humbled. Congrats on your amazing AG win this weekend. Now go kick some serious booty THIS weekend at the Maine Marathon!

*share 7 things about yourself *
1) I am afraid of the dark. yup. This early morning runner is afraid of the dark and I can turn any sound I hear into something terrifying! I am begging hubby for a headlamp but I will still be scared.
2) I am playing around with the idea of a career in fitness. or nutrition. or both.
3) My Mom is my best friend. really. no one else on the face of the earth has gone to such great lengths to always be there for me and support me NO MATTER WHAT. She drives me nuts at times but I love her dearly. I can't thank her enough for putting up with me during some of my more "troublesome" times.
4) I used to collect designer handbags and they were like gold to me. I could care less about them and would sell them all in a hot minute for an awesome triathlon bike!!
5) I hated running most of my life (except for one year of cross country and track when I was youngster). I used to say the only way I would ever run was if there were giving out free Louis Viutton handbags. I would not run for a killer maniac or bear chasing me~I guess I would just have to die. NOW? I love love love running!
6) I have a serious addition to salt & vinegar potato chips. I cannot have them in my house. I would eat the entire bag. I would eat them until the salt & vinegar coating would eat a whole through my tongue. Chocolate? naaaaa. Gimme chips!
7) I thought having a infant would be the scariest thing in the world. Ummmm...yeah, having a crazy toddler has changed my opinion on that.
*pass the award along to other bloggers who you think are fabulous*
Melissa~Melissa's Journey: A Pro Figure Pregnancy you are a *rockstar*
AnnMarie~Goals for the Week you are my hero!
Happy Wednesday!!
Tell me~what's up with you??

7 comments:

KovasP said...

Oh no, another EMZ TMI post? :) So cool you are thinking of a fitness/nutrition career - right up your alley!

AM! said...

Hi:)
thanks for the award/shout out! ;)
and sooo funny to read that you were a hand bag hoarder!...ya know...you prob could sell em'on ebay and put the $ towards a tri bike...just sayin...

RunToTheFinish said...

I was always like eww baked apples...then recently I for some random reason started doing them with cinnamon and coconut ice cream! love

chris mcpeake said...

great post

Emz said...

I know,right Kovas. COme on - there's always room for MORE TMI EMZ!! Thanks JL!!

Aimee said...

Those baked apples sound really good, but I like your idea of using PB and honey...yum!
I liked your list! It's always fun to learn more about people! :)

Melissa Cunningham said...

THANK YOU for the award!!!!!!
loved reading the 7 things....
and yeah i agree w aimee about the recipe!!
:)