Thursday, March 30, 2017

Ready, Reset, GO

...sometimes you need bad things to happen 

to inspire you to change and grow...


There is no doubt about it, the past 2+ years have been filled with some incredible highs and some extreme lows. It has changed me in so many ways and life has shown me, yet again, that the storms prepare you for the sunny days.



I completely stepped away from training and racing this past season, only doing things as I felt like doing them. The stress of a 2-plus year high conflict divorce took it toll on me, both physically and mentally. I just wanted it all to end so I could focus on this new life as a single mom and with an amazing partner. I wanted to get back to ME.

STRESS can really take a toll on a person. My sleep patterns changed. I was exhausted all the time. I did not have the energy to train. When I got done teaching 3, 4, or 5 classes in a row, the last thing I wanted to do was WORKOUT. All I wanted to do was eat some comfort food and take a nap!!

Getting into therapy to sort out the toxic and abusive marriage I was in for too many years was a double edged sword; rehashing the past was not fun but it allowed me to leave it there - in the past. Plus, having an unbiased person to vent to and listen was a gift. The days prepping for court, the hearings, the mediation...ugh. I don't wish that on anyone!



As the months dragged on, I put on some weight and lost endurance. I was missing a big part of who I am and what makes me happy. Luckily, I was surrounded by family, friends and a boyfriend that loved me and supported me no matter what life threw my way. With love and support, anything is possible!! 

a few weeks ago, things fell into place for me to finally get off my ass, to stop making excuses and get back to being the kickass, happy, spunky human being I am. 

I had to LET GO of the things I had no control over. I had to leave the resentment in the past. And I had to accept my flaws and mistakes for what they are. Life handed me a more than a few lessons in the last 2.5+ years. Instead of remorse and regret, I am heading into the NOW with a grateful heart for the family and friends that surround me. For the lessons learned. For the love I have received and for the bolt of reality that RESET MY MIND!! 



Getting back to training has certainly been awesome. I am feeling better every day and I am finally sleeping better. I am making healthy food choices daily and I am being KIND to myself. I am being patient with the slow miles of running and loss of endurance. I am not watching the clock like a hawk in the pool and letting things BE.

I am excited to celebrate the finality of things (soon, I really hope!) and chase new goals.



I have so many exciting things planned for the rest of 2017! 

New things, new challenges and revisiting some of my favorite races. There is some travel & trips planned and I am so optimistic about things to come. 

  • I am still racing with the best race series ever, Rev 3
  • I have an amazing tribe of people with From Fat to Finish 



And I will be back to writing and sharing this new chapter of my journey, and it feels like coming home...


No comments: